Monday, July 13, 2015

Church Attendance Struggles, District Meeting Surprise

Luis' baptism


Familia y Amigos,

How is it all going?   I hope everyone is doing well at home, things are going well for me here in la Trinidad.  I am doing well, I got the area down but right now we are just working on getting some new investigators.  We have found some cool people, but the problem is just getting them to church.  I am still trying to find out the best way that I can get people to come to church here, so that has been my struggle recently, but other than that things are going well.

This week went by super fast, and for the majority of the time we were just contacting and trying to find some people that will be willing to keep their commitments.  Tuesday was a normal day in my area so I just worked with Elder Salmeron.

On Wednesday I went and did divisions with one of the Elders in my district.  Their area is like a 20 minute ride in mototaxi so I worked with an Elder named Elder De Leon.  He is from Guatemala, and he has a super cool conversion story.  He was baptized like a year ago and now he is here in the mission.  He is a hard worker and they have some cool people there in their area that are preparing for baptism.

On Thursday we just worked again in our area, still finding people.  And then on Friday I had a nice surprise.  It was district meeting as normal, and Elder Kleiner told me that he was going to be coming.  I thought that it was going to be a chill laid back District Meeting because the APs came last week, but it wasn’t.  I was there on time getting everything ready to start and next thing you know President Russell and Sister Russell showed up.  Definitely not expected.  I was prepared and everything so there weren’t any problems.  Who knows who will show up next week!

Saturday we had a baptism of this guy named Luis.  Elder Olsen and Salmeron were kind of teaching him.  They had dropped him because he was preparing for a baptism before, got interviewed and everything but the day before his baptism he drank.  So they gave him another chance.  But the day of his interview they showed up, and he was drunk.  So they dropped him.  When I got there, I didn’t know anything about him, or what had happened so I just put a fecha (baptismal date) with him.  We saw a big change of heart, and he ended up getting baptized and confirmed. When we got to the church to baptize him there was nobody there, and it was closed.  Here in this Area we don’t have keys to the church, so we had to call someone to open the church.  Kind of sad that nobody showed up.  I ended up having to baptize him and then just finish working in my wet clothes.  We don’t really have time for extra excursions to the house so it was a nice way to finish off the night.

Sunday we had the struggles bringing people, typical Nicaraguan Sunday!

And this morning I had to go to Managua for a choir practice.  We have a Multizona (multi zone conference) tomorrow, and last night at 11 Elder Collado called and told me that I had to play the piano for the choir.  I also have to give a taller (workshop) at the Multizona so we will see how it goes!  I love you all and hope you have a great week!  We might have a baptism this week, we will see what happens.

Elder Hanson

PS This week, the 19th is the day of the Sandinista Revolution, so it could get crazy!


Elder Salmeron`s shoe broke working in the rain, so we took a picture

No comments:

Post a Comment